Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 14/3/2020: ghost town
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 12:45:21 -0500

As most of you know, the US is a different beast.  Adjustments here are
more ad hoc.  Seattle is voluntarily doing much of what Italy has been
directed to do.  My daughter and husband have been working from home ten
days now.  Public gatherings are severely limited.  Here in Austin
virtually all public events have been curtailed.  While restaurants and
bars are still open people are self limiting congestion so no close
contact.  What has been "casual" cleaning of surfaces in restaurants is now
vigorous.  Wait staff are taking their exposure seriously and taking steps
to reduce said exposure.

Austin, while not as international as some cities on the west coast has an
extensive connection to the Asian countries most affected through its tech
focus but so far has zero infection internal to the community.  We do have
three cases in hospital from external individuals to the community.

The news in the US does not capture all the steps being taken to prevent
the spread.  Two examples will suffice.  Here in Austin the Ladybird
Wildflower Center is closed entirely; while mostly an open air work in
progress restoring native flora there were several gathering spots where
people(children mostly) could be exposed.  KEH, a used camera online
retailer, is thoroughly wiping down all items in denatured alcohol before
being bagged for delivery.  While the pandemic is a serious threat to
health and safety more is being done locally than is generally realized.
Small actions by many will in aggregate get us through this .