Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Apollo Mission Control
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 10:17:00 +0100 (CET)

I too remember watching the moon landing on a B&W TV. I was 8 years old, in
Poland. But my perspective was somewhat different. While space was mildly
interesting, as a boy I was much more fascinated by the polar explorers. I
swallowed books about Nansen, Amundsen, Scott, Peary, Shackleton etc. I
regretted that I was born too late so that both poles had already been
concquered.

The moon landing was important for a very different reason. Like the vast
majority of people in Communist Poland, we viewed the space program through
the Cold War prism. So we were happy to see Armstrong step on the lunar
surface not because of the "giant step for mankind" stuff but because it
represented a victory of the USA over the Soviet Union. That is what I cared
about. Keep in mind that this was less than a year after the rape of
Czechoslovakia, so our hatred of the USSR was even stronger than usual at
that particular time.

Today, I still think that manned space flight is a waste of money from a
scientific perspective--you can get much more info from unmanned missions.
Like 50 years ago, the main justification for the current planning for a
Mars mission is superpower rivalry, this time between the USA and China. Not
much science going on there.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman