Subject: [Leica] Apollo Mission Control
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 19:44:33 -0800

I'm back from 12 days in Texas--Houston and Austin.? A highlight of the
trip was a visit to NASA's Johnson Space Center. It was pilgrimage I've
wanted to make all my life. Part of me is still that space-crazed kid
who watched all the launches, hoping I'd be in one of those spacecraft
someday.

Building 30 houses most of the Mission Control rooms, past and present.
The room used for the Apollo program has been restored to look as much
as possible as it did at the moment Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon
50 years ago.? The period "artifacts" are very detailed, many
contributed by people who? worked there during the Apollo program.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49585990292/in/dateposted-public/>

A better view of the center consoles. Flight Director Gene Kranz'
console is just left of center.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49585990232/in/dateposted-public/>

Another console, closer up:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49585753721/in/dateposted-public/>

The building courtyard, with its historic landmark landmark plaque:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49585990392/in/dateposted-public/>

A very happy visitor:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
N04/49585753836/in/dateposted-public/>

The room is smaller than it appeared on TV.? Wide-angle lenses do that.?
The viewing area is behind glass in what used to be the VIP observation
area--reserved for astronaut's families and visiting dignitaries back in
the day.? They normally show an audio-visual presentation of the minutes
before and after the landing, but it, um, malfunctioned. No matter. They
displayed the "one small step" picture, and a guide talked us through.?
All I cared about was that I was THERE.

Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic 20/1.7.? Enjoy!
--Peter

Replies: Reply from leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans) ([Leica] [LRflex] Apollo Mission Control)
Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Apollo Mission Control)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Apollo Mission Control)