Subject: [Leica] One way to justify a M10R
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 07:59:56 -0500

For a few years now, at least five, some companies have been coming out with
improved bodies with improved sensors  as they always do but the rez is not
always pushed up it sometimes even goes down a tic. Yet they felt they had
no apologies to make the sensors still bore a year or more of research and
development and would show better results for various shooting options
(faster, lower light, clowns)  than previous sensors will the expected rez.
This was the case five years ago with Nikon when the D5 and D500 full frame
and 1.5 crop cameras out in January 2016 with 20mp sensors instead 24mp.
24mp seemed to be the expected standard at the time and that number was
expected to go up down.  But these new streamlined sensors were both said to
be "better" and this has proven to be true over 5 years of use by many
respected users who certainly had results to show for it.
But the real point being not they were a tad smaller it's that they are not
tad bigger.
There are a list of high rez cameras out today and they appeal to a list of
shooting genres as there are some famous normal rez and or cropped cameras
which have uses for wildlife, events and fast shooting on location.  And
probably clowns.
In many cases I think the higher rez is not going to hurt all that much.
It's just that the lower rez even cropped shooting experience can be
exhilarating with results  to back it up.  Like jumping into a hole in the
ice and having a heart attack.

I'm looking forward for my next camera in another year to give me a high rez
option which I don?t have now.
It would be exciting to have that many pixels to work with and I'm sure it?s
a thing which must be tried to fully know what the heck is really going on.
It's too easy to say "I don?t need that many pixels". And you'd be wrong.
Over my left arm I'd have my 20 pixel cropped body my D500 or a new Z50.
Hanging down over my right a highrez 30, 40 or 50 MP body, DSLR or
mirrorless. Maybe a a Z7 or D850.

Shooting a D500 since last January has been an expected delight in ways I
didn?t anticipate. And a handful of other LUG people used it often all year
as well.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 2/6/20, 2:33 PM, "LUG on behalf of Frank Filippone via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    I am not going to try to justify the cost issues, but I do want to help
    users decide one advantage they are getting from buying an M10R once it
is
    available.  I am going to assume the resolution of the new camera will be
    46MP.  (there are reports of 42 and 46MP.  The analysis does not change
    much between these numbers. so let's think positive, 46MP)

    Remember that these advantages are relative to your old setup.  The
    decision that this argument is making is... should I upgrade to an M10R
    from my old Digi-M?

    It is all about Cropping.  If you need an end resolution of AxB pixels,
and
    you take an image that is more pixels than this, you can use cropping
    without degradation of your final image.

    There are 3 probable cases/generations of an "Old" Leica camera:  The M9,
    and M240, and the M10  ( or variants).  Taking these one at a time,

    If you own an M10, with 24MP of sensor the effective lens factor is 1.32
(
    let's go with 1 1/3 for convenience).  This means that it would have
taken
    a lens of 1 1/3 focal length to take the same image output  as if you had
    your old camera.  IOW your your 35 mm lens can crop to the equivalent of
    47mm lens on the M10R.  A 50mm lens becomes a 67mm lens, your 90 becomes
    120mm , your 135 becomes a 180mm..  And you are not carrying that extra
    lens around....

    If you have a M240, the situation is similar.  24mp sensor.  Same
    advantages.

    If you have an M9 ( like I do) the case is much more clear and
    compelling.... the M9 has a resolution of 18MP.  The effective lens
    multiplier is 1.6.  Your 35 can be cropped to the equivalent of 56mm
lens.
    The 50 to 80mm, the 90 to 145mm and the 135 to 200mm!

    Say you use the traditional 35/50/90 lens kit on your M9 when you take
your
    images..... you could now carry a 35 and a 50 and get the same image
    cropping abilities.  You do not have to carry the 90!  If you use a 50
and
    90, the 50 will cover both.

    On a trip where space and weight matter, but you want all the capability
    you can get?  Carry the 35, and 90.. In effect, you are carrying the
    crop-ability of a 35,50,90 AND 135.  You are carrying only 2 lenses!
Much
    less fussiness, less lens changing, and more time to compose and shoot.

    Cropping is a major advantage of the higher MP of the M10R.

    Note that this is not only about Leica, your brand N or C or other
cameras
    offer the same advantages.....

    More MP is not only about file sizes.  It can take on a really good roll
in
    your carry kit.

    Frank Filippone
    BMWRed735i at gmail.com