Subject: [Leica] Erwin Puts farewell to Leica World
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 17:05:39 -0400

I've always had a fascination with the infinity symbol ? on my first camera
I got in 1965 with f stops and shutter speeds when I was 12 or 13 it was a
mid 1950's Voigtl?nder Vito BL. I was not sure what to focus it at infinity
on it seemed like it should be a long way away maybe I should pack a lunch.
No hills in the north shore Chicago suburbs to speak of.
There was no internet to look it up there was no one to ask and the Dewey
Decimal System was not doing me any good in the Winnetka and Glencoe
library's.
So I settled on clouds. I decided clouds were infinity. I aimed at clouds
when I adjusted the eyepiece on my camera for years. Decades.
Erwin may have noticed some of my occasional infinity posts on the LUG and
did a thing on what  ? (infinity) means in photography on a real level like
how far way is it really.
Turns out its not all that far away you don?t even need to bring your lunch!
The focal length of your camera times the square root of the hypotenuse that
kind of thing... couple of hundred feet away - piece of cake.
You need to know how to to math though or how to use a slide rule. Or
Geometry. Or trigonometry.  No biggie, just way out of my pay grade.
Clouds may be bit fluffy though for accurate focusing but they've all I've
got; on a cloudy day.

Here's one right next to a Leica M2!
https://www.35mmc.com/05/04/2019/compact-excellence-a-review-of-the-voigtlander-vito-bl-by-andrew-morang/

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 10/23/19, 11:15 PM, "LUG on behalf of Paul Roark via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Don Dory via LUG <lug at leica-users.org> wrote:

    > I will just add that Leica tests every lens and keeps the record for
every
    > lens produced.   The MTF is from real lenses and not some idealized
    > computer projection.

    Which is unlike most of the companies.  In my pre-Leica days, I became
    frustrated returning lenses that focused at different places for the
    different edges of the field.  I have a mountain ridge at "infinity" and
    clear air where I live.  The poor assembly of the middle market optics
was
    very obvious and frustrating.  We do get something for those prices we
pay.

    Paul
    www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Erwin Puts farewell to Leica World)