Subject: [Leica] So long, LUG Pals
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:37:50 -0400

I agree with Tina and Howard on the main essence, focus of photography being
people.
People = Politics.
Armed with this well-known equivalence I?m darned glad our list discourages
people from spinning their insufferable political agendas especially during
the election fervor times. I think any people talk needs to be focused in
the sociological direction and less spinning political agendas.

I think there?s lots of ways you can spin your focus on what you?re going to
be with camera in hand: Portrait, Commercial, Scientific, Fine Art job
titles. That?s the ?to be?. Goes next to your name on your business card
The ?to do? might be  the direction in which your camera  is pointing:
Landscape, Wildlife, Underwater, Astro, Aerial, Portraiture and that?s just
the tip of the iceberg which is not really melting.
Bottom line:
I think the first and most basic to do and be has always been photographing
people in their natural condition.
That?s the bottom line in photography and you know it even if you're
spending the day shooting amoeba though a macroscope.. That?s the default.
And that?s mainly been a form of either Journalism or Art or both combined.
HCB was decorating the gallery walls in New York with stuff he did hitting
deadlines for the Paris Match. Which is in France.
?Big overlap
--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 10/18/19, 9:57 AM, "LUG on behalf of Howard L Ritter Jr via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    I agree, Tina.

    For many, photography is an art form or a pastime. But like any art
form, painting, sculpture, fiction, playwriting, acting, directing, it has
always been, always will be, a means of representing various truths to those
unaware of them. The truths conveyed by photographing the world may be about
beauty or about science, but they are also about the state of the world, as
you so often show us.

    The LUG should be a home for photography that does any and all of the
above, and for any (respectful) discussions that that photography stimulates.

    ?howard

    > On Oct 18, 2019, at 8:54 AM, Tina Manley via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    > It's always surprising to me that anyone thinks Leica cameras are not
    > political tools.  Leicas have always been used to take photos with a
    > political purpose.
    >
    > I use my Leica cameras to make a difference in the world.  Right now,
I'm

<http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/3B49552F-90A0-4D0A-A11D-2175C937AA91/Tina+Manley.html>