Subject: [Leica] Street Photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 18:27:23 -0400

Problems being if you'd walked up to Robert Frank a few years back and told
him he was your favorite "Street" photographer he would look at you with
bewilderment.
He was a fine art photographer, photojournalist and film maker.; Mary Ellen
Mark a fine art photographer.
When we define  them with our trendy buzz words of the moment it doesn?t
complement them or their work.
The default of photography  has always been photographing the human
condition. It the past what symbolized that was "the Tenements". Now it's
"The Street".

Big overlap after WWII between the Art photographers and the magazine
photographers as most galleries had the magazine photographers work up on
their walls.
Like that Paris Match guy; HCB.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/22/19, 3:18 PM, "LUG on behalf of Don Dory via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    This is a little late to the thread.  My basic point is that "Street"
    photography is essentially capturing humans as they are in mostly public
    places.  We can be overtly political like Robert Frank pointing out
    uncomfortable truths, we can be artistic in finding everyday art out in
    the streets and parks like much of HCB's work, we can show the amusing
side
    of life like LLuis's many sign juxtapositions.

    I think that capturing people in their culture, disarmed from pretensions
    put on when our subjects know they are being photographed can be some of
    the most important images for posterity that are taken.  Even editorial
    work such as Mary Ellen Mark and "Indian Circus" truly add to
understanding
    about people in places or situations that most of us will never be.

    I think that for further discussion we should all look at Johnny
Deadman's
    Pink Headed Bug discussions about Street from what 10 years ago?

    --
    Don
    don.dory at gmail.com