Subject: [Leica] Street Photography
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 14:18:21 -0500

This is a little late to the thread.  My basic point is that "Street"
photography is essentially capturing humans as they are in mostly public
places.  We can be overtly political like Robert Frank pointing out
uncomfortable truths, we can be artistic in finding everyday art out in
the streets and parks like much of HCB's work, we can show the amusing side
of life like LLuis's many sign juxtapositions.

I think that capturing people in their culture, disarmed from pretensions
put on when our subjects know they are being photographed can be some of
the most important images for posterity that are taken.  Even editorial
work such as Mary Ellen Mark and "Indian Circus" truly add to understanding
about people in places or situations that most of us will never be.

I think that for further discussion we should all look at Johnny Deadman's
Pink Headed Bug discussions about Street from what 10 years ago?

--
Don
don.dory at gmail.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Street Photography)