Subject: [Leica] How to Advertise Your Photography Business
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 15:58:18 -0500

The basic test is whether an item is used/worn in day-to-day
circumstances.? For example, a model's hair gel used only for a photo
shoot but not otherwise might be a candidate.? So I would probably rule
against the tatts, jewelry and hair gel since they were worn in public.?
But, there are exceptions.? One is Hess v. Commissioner of Internal
Revenue, Tax Court Summary Opinion 1994-79.? Cynthia Hess was an exotic
dancer using the stage name "Tonda Marie", usually grossing around
$500-750 per week.? Upon the advice of her agent, she began breast
augmentation surgeries, arriving at a bust size of 56FF, with the
implants weighing approximately 10 pounds.? After that, she re-entered
the market as "Chesty Love" and her weekly income doubled.? A few years
later, she received further augmentation to size 56N and her income
increased to $70,000 over one 20-week period.? Her argument to the Tax
Court was that the implants were akin to stage props from which she
received no personal benefit, and in fact she would have breast
reduction surgery after her dancing career was over.? The Tax Court
agreed and upheld her deduction for depreciation of the implants.