Subject: [Leica] Street Photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 10:18:48 -0400

>From wiki " Robert Doisneau (French: [??b?? dwano]; 14 April 1912 ? 1 April
>1994)[1] was a French photographer. In the 1930s he made photographs on the
>streets of Paris. He was a champion of humanist photography and with Henri
>Cartier-Bresson a pioneer of photojournalism."
They didn?t call him one. I wonder if they're still calling HCB the father
of Street photography? He was mainly known in France for hitting deadlines
for the Paris Match..

I'm fond of the term they are now using here " humanist photography" which
you can click on because it not blithering baloney.
Wow this is a lot to wrap your head around! This was never in there before
I'm pretty sure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanist_photography

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/24/19, 9:02 AM, "LUG on behalf of Douglas Barry"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of imra at
iol.ie> wrote:

    What a lot of guff is swilling around about this term. Pulling a book
    down from my shelf, I see "What distinguishes Doisneau's street
    photography of the 1940s and 1950s is a capacity for narrative" blah,
    blah. This comes from the 1997 Phaidon "The Photo Book". So that puts it
    at least 22 years old. I rather suspect the term may be a lot older, but
    who cares. English is an embracing and mutable tongue, and who can count
    the number of photography terms and movements out there?

    Douglas

    On 24/09/2019 06:33, Mark Rabiner wrote:
    > My two cents if the "Street Photography" term using phenomenon just
admitted what it was instead of insinuating that it's been this ongoing
longtime thing that everyone has always known about it but you were not
paying attention it would not be so bad. I have nothing much against
sometimes using a buzz word of the moment or click bait or weasel words
which pretend to mean something but which are just messing with you.
    > But the "Street" thing doesn't own up to it. I think many of them just
want to feel a connect with the college kids who are just flipping off
knowing anything about the art world or journalism and just want to walk
around taking pictures and somehow be meaningful... rebellious.

    > But I think there are two main categories in photography which overlap
a lot:
    > Job titles and genres.
    > The Job titles describe you and the genres describe your photographs.
    > If you are showing somebody a landscape it's a Landscape. That?s the
Genre your image is part of.
    >   If it?s a big part of what you always do you can say you are a
Landscape photographer and have it on your business card.. And when people
see your images they might believe you.
    > The Yellow Pages had two categories for photography. Doctors only got
one and Lawyers only got one.
    > Commercial and Portrait.
    > If you were a landscape photographer I think that fit into neither
Commercial nor Portrait..
    > Landscape it think is a sub category of Art Photography. The Gallery
market. Art Collectors.
    > And you could not even look those up Art Photography in the Yellow
Pages.