Subject: [Leica] Street Photography
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 01:33:47 -0400

My two cents if the "Street Photography" term using phenomenon just admitted
what it was instead of insinuating that it's been this ongoing longtime
thing that everyone has always known about it but you were not paying
attention it would not be so bad. I have nothing much against sometimes
using a buzz word of the moment or click bait or weasel words which pretend
to mean something but which are just messing with you.
But the "Street" thing doesn't own up to it. I think many of them just want
to feel a connect with the college kids who are just flipping off knowing
anything about the art world or journalism and just want to walk around
taking pictures and somehow be meaningful... rebellious.

But I think there are two main categories in photography which overlap a lot:
Job titles and genres.
The Job titles describe you and the genres describe your photographs.
If you are showing somebody a landscape it's a Landscape. That?s the Genre
your image is part of.
 If it?s a big part of what you always do you can say you are a Landscape
photographer and have it on your business card.. And when people see your
images they might believe you.
The Yellow Pages had two categories for photography. Doctors only got one
and Lawyers only got one.
Commercial and Portrait.
If you were a landscape photographer I think that fit into neither
Commercial nor Portrait..
Landscape it think is a sub category of Art Photography. The Gallery market.
Art Collectors.
And you could not even look those up Art Photography in the Yellow Pages.

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 9/24/19, 1:04 AM, "LUG on behalf of Ted Grant via LUG"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of lug at
leica-users.org> wrote:

    Hi PHILIPPE,
    merci!
    To try and answer your question? Here are some names that have been used
on me as what I was doing with a camera in my hands or position I was
holding during my life time with cameras.
    NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER
    PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER
    COMMERCIAL PHOTOGRAPHER
    WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER(the money was good! I HATED IT! EVERY COTTON
PICK-IN ONE OF THEM!
    PHOTOJOURNALIST
    PRIME MINISTER'S PHOTOGRAPHER.
    OH AND A FEW OF OTHER TYPES UN-PRINTABLE! :-)
    cheers,
    Dr.ted grant O.C.