Subject: [Leica] Img: Afternoon Exercise
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:14:14 +0530

Jim,
We don't drink coffee with chicory, though many do as it is cheaper that
way, just a 50:50 mix of Plantation and Peaberry. Both are berries of the
Arabica plant, but the former has both beans stuck together, and the latter
is a single bean. Both are roasted separately, Peaberry for flavour, and
Plantation more deeply for strength, and then ground together, medium fine
for our coffee filters, by bean weight to achieve the blend. Our final
coffee, after letting gravity do its work, commonly called "decoction" is
about 2-3 times stronger than espresso, so it is impossible to drink it
without milk or cream, and normally sugar as well, though I do not - other
stuff you can use to dilute it are butter, ghee, almond milk, coconut oil,
coconut milk, etc - all the funny stuff ends up with it being called
bulletproof coffee, and used by those on various diets - vegan and keto, to
name two.

We have a local retailer who does the roasting and grinding and delivers
half a kilo of the finished product every week - there are thousands of
shops doing this in Chennai alone, as fresh brewed coffee is very serious
business in our South Indian culture. In my grandparents houses, the beans
would be roasted and hand ground daily, and had a much better flavour, but
these are modern times....
Our coffee is grown in South India, and is consumed 100% domestically, so
is not so well known worldwide. We grow Robusta as well, but all of that
goes straight into making instant coffee.

Cheers
Jayanand