Subject: [Leica] yearbooks
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 18:31:03 -0700

While Brian is retiring and may have time, I am the opposite end: returning
to corporate America so I don't have to worry about paying bills, which
paradoxically, may also mean that I will have more time.

One good news is that in the last few years, I have learned that Blurb has
a "magazine" option: letter size, soft cover and two choices of paper only,
but the cost is significantly less than the "real book" option. Best of
all, the color and BW reproduction are still Blurb-quality, meaning that
they are still being printed on the HP Indigo, just like that other ones,
and still take sRGB profile. Indeed, I have developed templates and
workflow to make process go a lot smoother. I have made 3 books using the
process, with the largest one being ~130 pages.

Brian's "150 hours on his yearbook" is probably not far off. My wife and I
probably put in 80-100 hours on the LUG yearbook that we produced, and we
didn't even have to do much color matching. We spent a lot of time
sequencing - which we felt would result in a stronger book,. The mechanic
of dropping the images in the templates is not hard, but tedious. With the
new workflow I developed, at least this part is easier.

If Brian has the time and energy to take this on, I am sure the result will
be tremendous. However, if he does not have time or energy this year, and
assuming my job situation sorts itself out sooner rather than later, and if
people are willing to trust me again, I will take the job for a 2019 LUG
Yearbook. More as it develops.