Subject: [Leica] yearbooks
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 13:20:50 -0700

There has been sadness that the LUG yearbook has taken a hiatus.

I think the problem is that very few people understand how much work and
how much expertise is required to assemble a book like that and meet
Leica image-quality standards. It sounds conceptually easy, but it is
very hard to do a good job, and the standards of the existing yearbooks
were set very high. Jim made it look easy. It wasn't.

Jim Shulman had many years of experience doing yearbook-like things
professionally. He was very good at it, and he knew exactly what he was
up against when he first suggested the yearbook. High-end publication
has not been at the center my career, but I've done maybe 20 or 25
yearbook-like publications (annual reports, IPO prospectus, catalogs,
etc) in the past few decades. Usually as part of my job, but a couple of
years ago I published a 50th-Anniversary yearbook for my high school
graduating class. Since the entire audience for that book was people
whose opinion mattered to me, I reviewed my InDesign documentation,
bought a new SpyderX, and poured my heart into it. I took 2 weeks of
vacation time to finish it, and all in all I spent maybe 150 hours on
that task. I had it printed by Lulu. It was excellent. But it was an
insane amount of work. Probably no one else noticed that I color-matched
the cover of the 50th-anniversary yearbook to the 1966 original. But I
had to. Those Heidelberg Versafire digital presses will do whatever you
tell them, but you have to tell them.

I have no criticism of people who don't have the mixture of skill,
experience, hardware, and spare time to finish a LUG yearbook. Things
happen. And many people won't understand how much work it is until they
get started.

There is a chance that after I retire and sell my house and move
somewhere smaller and cheaper and get enough sleep every night for 2
weeks straight, that I might have enough time and energy to take the
wheel of a reborn LUG yearbook. No promises, but I enjoyed the yearbook
too.

Replies: Reply from geneduprey2015 at gmail.com (Gene Duprey) ([Leica] yearbooks)
Reply from jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] yearbooks)