Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: lluisripollphotography at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 20:13:13 +0200

Tina,

I have not yet commented about your question, I haven?t followed all the
comments, this take some time for me in English, but I specially agree those
from Mark Rabiner and Gerry. I?m sure that the main pictures of your big
work has already been edited and I think rarely new ones will give us new
values. I suppose that the pictures you mention are from film time and maybe
you kept the contact sheets, for me these have a great value, choose the
more significant, they will show us the evolution about the manner you have
decided tell us a story with your final selected picture.

It is always very difficult make a choice of our pictures, we make undreds,
thousends but the ones that finally remain are a few ones. It is very nice
share in the LUG our pictures, but wit all my respect to all of us, we show
good pictures,  this is normal for experienced good photographers as the
ones of this list but real good pictures? how many in a year per person?

When I have to select pictures ?. is like a nightmare for me and frequently
I remember and read again and again the Sergio Larrain?s words:

<<Enlarge your framed compositions and put them up on the wall. To live with
them. To see them as you pass by.
If you are sure a Photo is no good, throw it away!. Take the better ones and
stick them a little higher up up on the wall, in the end you will have kept
only the good ones, and no others. Holding on to the mediocre ones will
condemn you to mediocrity. Keep the ?hits? only, the really arresting
images, throw out the rest because everything you keep will be retained in
the unconscious.>>
Sergio Larrain, letter to Sebastian Donoso, 1982

Cheers
Lluis