Subject: [Leica] New Leica!
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 16:19:01 -0400
References: <0D8F8C81-02BE-4AA5-900F-A76A45930723@mac.com> <CA+3n+_k18PSW3_CEhpv9_N9eZUzOraA5dCRWn7ZOuOVQTT923g@mail.gmail.com> <CA+yJO1AcY_3znsgZ_4EqWW4gV6GuM7Nkwzb703Ok9qCpk=kddA@mail.gmail.com> <CA+3n+_=WJ71TW=Jk300aFNd3GAD3RBdQESH0CO48YXNT5GgJiQ@mail.gmail.com> <FB17DD40-7438-41DF-9CB5-8552C6A2A843@mac.com> <00b501d4e8b9$48630630$d9291290$@verizon.net> <91D2F816-6E8C-412B-A56E-6A891EDFC18A@bex.net> <4849B56C-619D-4369-A0B8-D37B88B0F0AC@gmail.com> <2dde2a9f06b560687f309317dcff7959@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> <CAHgrdCTH_DyiWP4iQyRHspSunyQzf2eUKpZgfomVqhUZ46UXYA@mail.gmail.com> <CA+yJO1D0azdby8+MYcLhuT0iRmaTWSZD7nx2UjZSYP--3pPeAQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAHgrdCRrbCZ9naM+Q9+-gv87Jgo8ctN7im0QLy79VkGJz6hPgg@mail.gmail.com>

Wow!! comparing a Leica SL with an Olympus OM micro-4/3s as if they're not a
million miles apart.
1. Both take pictures
2. When you look at the pictures you can see them
3. Having seen them you can then delete them, print them or email them to a
friend
4. Sometimes the background is out of focus on some of the pictures.

I'm guessing  the camera you get out of a box of Cracker Jacks is not as
good as a Six Grand $ chunk of brilliant and innovative German engineering
and design!
What was the middle part again?

--

Mark William Rabiner
Photographer

?On 4/2/19, 3:55 PM, "LUG on behalf of Jeff Moore"
<lug-bounces+mark=rabinergroup.com at leica-users.org on behalf of jbmmllug
at jbm.org> wrote:

    On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 3:37 PM Tina Manley via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>
    wrote:

    > As far as I know, it always returns to the center after you take a
photo
    > and you have to use the joystick to move it.  Since I almost never use
    > manual focus, it's not a nuisance to me.

    That behavior continues to be a disappointment.  (What's not a
    disappointment is the image quality the SL delivers!)

    When I did this year's photo documentation of the WFMU Fundraising
Marathon:

        https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbm0/albums/72157676960514057

    ...I decided to save a few bucks by just renting current-tech bodies, and
    using lenses I already owned.

    Initially, I thought I'd save even more by not renting an SL body at all,
    and got a recent fancy Olympus micro-4/3s body and a recent Canon
    fullframe, since I had appropriate glass for those.

    But after beginning the first week with those bodies ? getting okay but
not
    SL results, with low-light high-ISO results looking kind of oatmealy and
    undersaturated ? I put in my order to get the SL for the second week.
And
    you may see the difference in the pictures in the above gallery.  (Flickr
    shows you EXIF, so it's easy to see what camera was used for what)

    But since I was using only my manual-focus R and M lenses on the SL
rather
    than the new autofocus SL lenses, I had a lot of interactions with the
SL's
    focus magnifier controls.  I wish they'd get that right.  The Olympus
OM-D
    E-M1 Mk 2 does the right thing!  You The focus mag location stays where
you
    left it, and you can even set it before you bring the camera to your eye!

    But the pictures just aren't in the same ballpark as what you get from
the
    SL's sensor.

Replies: Reply from jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] New Leica!)
Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] New Leica!)