Subject: [Leica] Xtol recomended dilutions
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Christopher Crawford)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 05:49:15 -0400

Its been years since I used Xtol. I never really liked the tonality as
much as D-76, though Xtol does give finer grain. I got best results
diluted 1+1.

Be careful with higher dilutions. Kodak, when it first came out, listed
times for 1+2 and 1+3 dilutions. A lot of photographers got severely
underdeveloped negs with those dilutions, using Kodak?s times. Turns out,
Xtol cannot stand being diluted that much unless you develop the film in a
much larger tank than you normally need. I think there had to be 200ml of
stock in the diluted developer for each roll, so for 1+3 developing, you
could do only one roll in a 32ox tank that could hold four rolls!

Kodak published the minimum stock quantity needed but a lot of people
ignored it and complained, so they just stopped publishing the times for
the higher dilutions!

I actually have a copy in PDF format of the original Xtol info booklet,
but the times would be off for Kodak films now since Kodak reformulated
Tri-X and the Tmax films since then. They did publish times for Ilford
films, which might still work if you?re interested in seeing it.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook

On 6/15/17, 5:15 AM, "LUG on behalf of lluisripollphotography"
<lug-bounces+chris=chriscrawfordphoto.com at leica-users.org on behalf of