Subject: [Leica] Stock Sales
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:25:29 +0100

I think Tina is thinking exactly like a business(wo)man and that is why she
is commenting on the ludicrous level of stock sale prices that Alamy are now
accepting. If you used to get $100 and you are now getting $2 you have to
question why that has happened and it is not because of the quality of
Tina?s images in any way whatsoever. It has more to do with the flooding of
the market by iPhone images etc. Yes Alamy, once a leading stock image
library, now accepts iPhone images.

The other thing that worries me is that Alamy claim they have to price
according to the buyers location because the buyers location dictates often
what they can afford but these buyers are printing for major first world
countries who can well afford the prices being asked for. Have you noticed
the price of photobooks (for instance) going down. No, well there?s a
surprise, but many of them are printed in third world countries that Alamy
claims cannot afford the previous prices.

All of this contributes to ever lowering esteem that photographers are held
in, and all working photographers are quite justified in fighting that. "$2
in a month or two is better than no money? is rather a crass statement to
make when the photographer is fighting for his/her place in the world as a
visual artist.

Rant over!

Gerry