Subject: [Leica] Stock Sales
From: tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 09:45:36 -0400

Chris -

If I were not able to make expenses and a profit, I would not stay in
business.  I was relating the $2 sale as an example of how absurd some
stock sales are today.  Stock photography, like the stock market, requires
a lot of patience.  I have 9000 photos with Alamy and I also sell through
other agencies and from my site.  This week so far my share of Alamy's
sales is $332.32.  Some of those are of photos that I put up for sale in
2003 that are still selling every day.  I have one photo that has sold over
100 times.  My lament is that a sale like this is possible today:
Country: World English Language
Usage: Editorial
Media: Book, print and/or e-book
Print run: up to 50,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1/2 page
Start: 16 June 2016
End: 16 June 2041
Printed textbook (including all minor revisions), digital textbook (in all
secure locations/formats), custom editions, and ancillary CD-ROM/DVD/Image
Bank/Powerpoint/LMS. Print run: Up to 40,000. Duration: Life of edition.
Reuse.

Notice that the license is for 25 years or the life of the edition with
reuse.  There was no such thing as a 25 year license in the past.  The
license was for one use and if they wanted to use it again, they paid
again.  That was the whole point of rights managed vs royalty free.  I have
never licensed anything as royalty free, but the lines are getting more
blurred every day.

It's not easy to make a living leasing stock these days, but it is still
possible and I'm still doing it.

Tina $ 91.00