Subject: [Leica] The new Hasselblad is announced
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 14:15:51 -0400

And as I understand it large format senor backs for view cameras are barely
bigger than medium format digital formats.

I think medium format is 6cms no matter how you slice it while large format
is 4x5 inch and bigger.

On 6/23/16 3:06 PM, "George Lottermoser" <george.imagist at icloud.com>
wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Having been a 645 user in another life, I can assure you that it uses 120>
> film, commonly known as medium format to photographers of my
> generation.
> (credibility
> unstretched or not)
>
> 645 is actually a pretty nice frame
> size, but like 35mm, it's best to pick
> out as you shoot which you want,
> landscape or portrait.
>
> No comes digital, and many cameras have the
> ability of setting the shape of
> the image through menus,  my iPhone does it,
> and my Sony A7s does it.  I
> don't think I get a choice with my M9.
>
> The
> Leica M240 has choices in the video side.
>
> No matter what, I really don't
> much care what shape the sensor is, because
> I format an image to fit the
> composition, not the other way around.
> That's why God gave us
> mattes.

always amazed by these ?controversies.?
?medium? and ?large? format
> obviously qualify as "relative? terms.
we, who grew up with the terms, know
> their meaning.

620 roll film, 120 roll film, 70 mm roll film,
which included
> 6 x 4.5 cm, 6 x 6 cm, 6 x 7 cm, 6 x 9 cm frame cameras and or backs
were all
> referred to as ?medium format.?

4 x 5" sheet film and larger were referred to
> as ?large format?
even though 4 x 5" seems rather small when compared to 11 x
> 14" and 12 x 20".

2 1/4 x 3 1/4" sheet film - fell into a void - terminology
> wise.

And of course none of those terms has any particular relevance in
> digital sensor world.
Now we say ?full frame? to describe a sensor more or
> less the size of a 24 x 36 mm film frame;
even as sensors (frames) come in
> every conceivable size from extremely tiny to relatively large;
with NONE
> reaching anywhere close to 6 x 6 cm or larger.

What is relevant and
> important, to me,
is the actual size of the film and/or sensor
not relative
> terms
like full, medium, miniature, or large

Regards,