Subject: [Leica] Computer advice needed following problems
From: gerry.walden at icloud.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 21:41:39 +0000

As some of you know I have had problems with mu Mac Mini computer. I now
need somebody who knows something to advise me. The history is as follows:

I have a Mac Mini which was purchased from Apple and was upgraded from 4 to
8gb of Ram by them. The original purchase was about 15 months ago. This was
connected to an Iiyama 27? monitor via the HDMI port. The monitor was
purchased in May 2015.

About 3 weeks ago the computer froze and I had a white screen with thousands
of coloured pixels over it. All aspects of the computer were checked out at
the Apple store with no fault found, but for safety they re-installed to
operating system but on return home the fault persisted so the next day I
returned to the store and they again checked the computer thoroughly and
again no fault was diagnosed. Meanwhile I had connected the laptop to the
screen via the DVI port and all was working fine (the laptop has no HDMI
slot). This tended to suggest that it was the HDMI port on the screen that
was faulty.

I contacted Iiyama who sent another screen down, and this was installed on
Tuesday of this week. Today the problem returned, this time the screen being
black (with a faint glow) with a broad black band down the centre of it.

I returned to the Apple store who uttered something about a fault on the
video output side as being a possibility, and replaced the machine with a
brand new one. The new machine already has 8gb RAM in it and a much larger
hard disk because it is a newer model. They also refunded my original
upgrade costs of ?240 ($340) which is great. On installing the new machine
and connecting it to the screen my problem persists.

MY QUESTION IS  is it possible that a problem with the first machine has
damaged both screens if a component was faulty. To me it seems unlikely that
the new Iiyama screen would fail after only 5 days use, but anything is
possible. BTW the new computer is working fine at the moment with an old
Acer screen.

Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
www.gwpics.com