Subject: [Leica] SL Review
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:55:43 -0800
References: <15519040.1447860923487.JavaMail.root@elwamui-cypress.atl.sa.earthlink.net> <3FC7B66D-E0C0-4836-AA90-412E277E6DBC@icloud.com> <CA+yJO1DmzZMH-6Fq3v7fOu4AkNK4RUSE2AJwRCjdO2Ev3sqGWA@mail.gmail.com> <B01D530B-94F6-4F52-9021-84A5DA0B1D3B@frozenlight.eu> <CA+yJO1Bi5ze-UpCvcgRWYrgG8HSKsvq_MZ3OdYrxjJssetWe=A@mail.gmail.com> <D468CE53-3750-476E-94D3-B3C2B4691D96@gmail.com> <CAJ3Pgh6VBwyWNOx4wEtogf1JES5AzK0KJ5XdPkciwSK4CHTLbg@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ1szBpxkQecZ5AEZ4Fffo7rsaccXaqukLrr1LOMFSSDcA@mail.gmail.com>

Jayanand,

I personally favor through the lens viewing.  I also really like the
viewfinder level, particularly for wide angles.  So, getting a high MP TTL,
electronic viewfinder (EVF) body that allows the best wide angle lenses is
something I keep an eye out for.  The major disappointment with Sony a7r
line is its poor edge performance with M optics.  We're hearing conflicting
views regarding the SL.  It's in part probably a lens-by-lens design
variation.  Some people are also just testing at close distances, which
does not show the problem as much due to the lens to sensor distance being
increased.

I probably will not be satisfied until the electronics makers figure out
how to incorporate the IR filter in the chip itself.  Once the AA filter is
gone, then the IR filter is, as far as I can tell, the primary problem.  It
is there only because the sensor spectral sensitivity is wrong for
photography.  I believe they should be able to find a doping agent in the
manufacturing stage that corrects that and eliminates the IR filter.  The
micro-lenses stay (for now) and appear to be able to be compromised
sufficiently for wide v. telephoto use within a reasonable range, at least
for specific photo styles.  This may be where the M and SL lines ultimately
differ a bit.  The M is more for wides, the SL more for longer lenses.
Even the micro-lenses, I believe, lend themselves to solutions that should
be able to expand the range of acceptable ray angles.  It may sound odd
being critical of the semiconductor industry, but I'm not seeing the type
of innovation we used to see.  Sony and Intel appear to have become
bureaucracies -- but very good ones.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com