Subject: [Leica] BIG new Leica
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 13:24:42 +1000

That is a somewhat frustrating first look review from them for me. I used
to follow their reviews on many brands where they provided good features
description, handling and impressions even in first looks, I think. Perhaps
they will add more later.

Their comment on the default DNG profile (and default JPEG rendering)
reflects that it was not yet optimised when they tested. Adobe will
doubtless address that (as they have just done in the newest raw processing
for S (Typ 007) DNG's).

Re the banding comments, when I read this is a problem at base ISO if you
push the file by five or six EV, I feel like this has got  into the realm
of theoretical analysis absent practical use of the camera. How many of us
would expect no loss of quality in that circumstance?
It doesn't matter about the equipment brand, surely this is hardly relevant
in practical use? Personally I have sometimes been surprised at just how
much information is in the shadows from  the M (Typ 240) and S2 for
example. But if I needed to fix an underexposure by that much it would need
to be a Pulitzer Prize candidate image for me to admit that I got the
exposure that wrong in the first place.

I don't think that direct camera to camera performance comparisons are
necessarily sensible either when they are not even being compared with the
same optics for example. The 'real world samples' they provide were
evidently with a Summilux 35 (unknown model). Must be an M lens with
adapter I guess.
Maybe if the review is updated to talk about the actual camera features and
their experience in using it with the first to be released lens It might be
more interesting/relevant for me in any case.

No-one even has a serial camera yet as far as I know yet there is no
shortage of criticism it seems. Maybe the 'it's too big, Leica should.....'
 theme is lessening at least ;-) DPreview bear some responsibility for
influencing that with a misleading image too, as I recall.