Subject: [Leica] LUG Book 2015 - Closing Date 2015/12/15 (Adam Bridge)
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 11:03:19 +1000

I guess I am the old and grumpy ex-editor guy (I don't know how Jim managed
for 8 years!)
The format and the requirements for this 10th edition is exactly the same
as the last 9 years.
If this was to be changed now, it makes a LOT of extra work for Richard,
not to mention I guarantee that people would be unhappy no matter which
submitted images he chose for a final edit. Don't put that on him. Imagine
if photog A sends in say 10 he is really proud of but only 2 are chose, But
Photog B has 5 images included. Right now the editor is a compiler and
coordinator for everyone's benefit. No-one has ever judged any yearbook
image.

No-one buys the book either unless they contribute. A tiny book with few
contributors will have no more customers than that either. I did exactly
that with two books containing 5 images each by some great LUG
photographers  like Tina and Ted for example. People just won't buy these,
even at cost .You don't have to buy it as a contributor either of course.
We did introduce a lower cost way of having it though (the E book)

It's only 2 images you need to pick and contribute people! You had nearly a
whole year to shoot and choose for yourself and you still have weeks to
submit them. I extended that period last year, ending it 2 weeks earlier so
I wasn't editing up to midnight on NYE. As it was I got complaint on
Christmas morning which was the final straw on why I quit.
My experience with the longer contribution period was that the first weeks
brought only a trickle of images and despite dozens of posts advertising
and explaining everything I still got people who told me they weren't aware
of the slightly earlier cutoff.

Mark I can see on my bookshelf that you contributed images some years back.
Are you going to contribute to this one then?
Adam you are good until mid December. I look forward to seeing your images
in the book.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman