Subject: [Leica] OT: Help! How many Megapixels needed?
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 17:20:56 -0400

Larry, to begin with what you said last, the requirements for a good
1-to-2-foot print and for the best 1-foot consumer magazine photos are
rather different. The commonly accepted dots-per-inch criterion for a
critically examined print is 200?300, meaning a minimum of about 2000 x 3000
dots for an 11 x 14, or 3000 x 4000 for a 16 x 20. So for this you need 6-12
MPx, or twice that for 300 dpi in the print (not a difference that?s going
to be noticed by many viewers!). The halftone process in the best magazines
on coated paper I believe is around 180 dpi, so the MPx needs for an 8.5 x
11-inch magazine page would appear to be around 3 MPx.

My 27? 5K iMac screen has about 15 MPx, with a pixel pitch of just over
200/inch, and it produces an absolutely stunning rendering of digital images
taken with, for example, my M240. It?s about like a 16 x 24 print done at
200 dpi.

So to answer your question, for casual viewing of prints in the size range
you mention, 10-12 MPx should suffice, and no more than half that for a
large-format, high-quality art magazine page.

That said, I?d like to mention that, just out of curiosity, and wondering
how large a 200-dpi print could be produced from a full-frame digital
sensor, I experimented with a variety of cameras, including some
point-and-shoot ones with small sensors and tiny photosites. All the
cameras, fixed or zoom lenses, were used at the same actual FL, so the image
was at the same scale on all of the sensors (different fields of view of
course). In this respect, my 12-MPx P&S camera?s sensor was the equivalent
of a small section (~1/30 the area) of a FF 35mm sensor with ~350 MPx. With
that camera, I took photos at its full FL of about 23 mm and compared them
to the M240 with a 24mm lens mounted. I also used a couple of other cameras
with intermediate-sized sensors and appropriately selected FLs. I blew up
the images in Photoshop and did a visual comparison of resolution. I found
that, today's even inexpensive lenses on-axis have resolution that exceeds
the sensor resolution until well past the equivalent of ~50 MPx in a FF
sensor. I suspect that, for people who are going to make massive
enlargements, a 50 Summicron ASPH would need a sensor approaching 100 MPx to
make use of its full capabilities.

Fooling around years ago with my M8, I also found that using Photoshop to
up-sample an image to double the pixels per inch produced an image that,
when viewed very large, was far more pleasing than the native image and did
quite an impressive job of mimicking a higher native resolution, though of
course no increase in information results from this maneuver. I think this
is because real-world images are not made of random, independent, tiny
(smaller than sensor or lens resolution) pixels, which would not look better
when up-sampled; rather, natural objects tend to have a large-scale
correlation that extends across many pixels (think of the edge of a tree
branch or a person?s arm), making up-sampling a valid way of simulating a
higher than native resolution.

?howard