Subject: [Leica] OT: Help! How many Megapixels needed?
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 10:04:11 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Larry Zeitlin wrote:

For people that want to produce 11? x 14? to 16? x 20? prints or publish
their work in most consumer magazines, not display gigantic Colorama sized
prints from minuscule portions of the frame area, does the number of pixels
really matter? Inquiring minds want to know.
        Larry Z
<<<

Yes and no.  For prints up to 18" x 24" (I haven't printed larger) the DMR's
10MP has been adequate to make gallery owners swoon, and there's no way I'd
try printing a Kodachrome image that size and expect similar quality.

OTOH one of the stock agencies I'm working with has minimum pixel
requirements and the DMR's 10MP doesn't leave a lot of headroom for
cropping.  The a7II's 24MP gives me a lot more cropping flexibility.  YMMV.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
http://doug-herr.fineartamerica.com