Subject: [Leica] (SPAM: ?) RE: (SPAM: ?) Re: So much for "film is forever"..
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (Piers Hemy)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 17:38:36 +0100

You want examples?

I'll give you two from direct personal experience - they may not be what
you thought you were asking for, but they make the same point.

1) All files I saved in .STN format. Did you say "What the dickens is
that?" -it's the format used by Genuine Fractals, which I am sure you
remember, now subsumed into OnOne Perfect Resize, currently at v9. To quote
OnOne "The only way to open STiNG files is via Adobe Photoshop if Perfect
Resize 7.5 or earlier is installed". Doesn't matter if the bits are
corrupted or not, the format has been abandoned.

2) All files I backed up to a so-called online backup system nearly 20
years ago. They went through two acquisitions, and the new proprietors felt
there was better business to be done elsewhere. Service was simply
terminated, as if they had gone out of business (they may yet do so, of
course). Doesn't matter if the bits are corrupted or not, again.

And a third of which I have no personal experience, simply technical press
articles this week. Look out if you use SSDs for backup, as 1s magically
can become 0s, as Spencer rightly says. You have to keep 'em cool.

Piers