Subject: [Leica] Leica R system
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 17:22:08 +0100 (BST)

It seems to me that the R&D and tooling costs for a totally new DSLR system
are pretty well the same whether it is MF or 24x36.
Yes the sensor will be a bit dearer, and all the components a bit dearer but
the cost of developing a new AF system -same.
Cost of developing new software - same. Cost of developing new lens
mount/electronic interface - same. Cost of developing some sort of way of
using legacy R lenses - more. So in order to have been comfortable with 1200
R10 sales per year it would have to sell for very close to the unit cost of
the S2, not 50-100% above the other top quality DSLRs. Don't forget the
manufacturing piece part cost tends to be around 10% or retail, the rest of
the cost is the R&D and tooling.
At a price, say realistically 10% less than the S2, I don't think they would
have sold 1200...

Frank D.