Subject: [Leica] 50mm Summicron v5 on M9?
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:15:12 +1030
References: <BLU0-SMTP731861FFCCEC11451B2C9F8CA70@phx.gbl> <1473578600.983371390440828013.JavaMail.root@dsmdc-mail-mbs12> <CABmfTOWqDbfXnOA+m3WMx-cgx0QgCPyLBxZQwPHs8wO-Vu0CYA@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOWr7gFxjHE0ncbNT5veE+bRxgVJ-GK1p21EPAmY2Ai29Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ4y7gw2j6guebB5xOA_RVFpM7Qs+DHK5BMhmBghoP43BAeiAw@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOX6izDB-A9=Rom-5ZnYLr5a2G8zuq49p8851d_s2xZ0uQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ4y7gzKsMj7sygRfTFA6GZgkk9S+NQ26OGfP2R=3dJeS5wCKg@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF7igbkGRL5-+ty5-T6s5GcoWiftyK=+RvWOXr3xoL+R2Q@mail.gmail.com>

I certainly would not say it is flare prone.

I would.

The day I took this:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Russia/Kizhi_IV.jpg.html and
the day I took this:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Russia/St_P_XXXV.jpg.html
I lost about a quarter of my shots were affected by the flare caused by out
of the frame light sources - both days there were limited opportunities to
move because everything I was photographing was on a shoreline or road.
When I got home I tested the lens and it was fine, it was just the light.
 If it can happen once it can happen twice, and soon after I sold the lens.

When in doubt about flare, I use the f1 Noctilux.  If you can make it
flare, you're doing something really special.

Marty