Subject: [Leica] F8.0 at 1/125 and be there 6 APS-C 1.5 crop compact options
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:53:04 -0400

Looks great Lawrence!

I always stopped my Rollei 35 which I still have down to f8 or f11 to make
sure I got the thing in focus as its guess to matic focusing whenever I
could. Would often miss my focus in a dark room wide open.  But got better
at it.
Have been hoping for a digital version of the Rollei 35.

The Sony Rx1 full frame is really quite a bit bigger than a Rollei 35 And
really a bit bigger than the APS-C 1.5 crop compact cameras rapidly being
introduced. Yesterday the Leica X Vario which was said to be an M.
The latest one this month or week is the Ricoh GR,  $797 with 28mm equiv mm
2.8.
So we have a choice of Six of these APS-C 1.5 crop compact cameras now.

But these so called Pro Compacts are all really in effect half frame. And a
Rollei 35 was decidedly 24x36mm in a camera the size of a pack of
cigarettes.
And I think may pros for such a thing will wait for more Rollei 35 like full
frame compact options.

All six of these are APS-C 1.5 crop compact cameras
Fujifilm X100s $1,299
Leica X2 $1,995 and the X Vario which I don't even want to think about for
twice that for $2,850
Nikon Coolpix A $1,097
Ricoh GR &797
Sigma DP1, DP2, DP3 $999 ( and you'd think you'd have to spend a grand on a
nice camera like this)