Subject: [Leica] Spitfire Pilot Crash
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:59:20 -0400

" The movie deals with the theft by German spies of the fictional "Process
97," a secret formula which, the narrator tells us, "was crucial to the
development of the atomic bomb." The movie was released on September 10,
1945, only a month after the atomic bombs had been dropped on Japan, and
barely a week after Japan's formal surrender. While making the film, the
actors and director Henry Hathaway did not know that the atomic bomb
existed, or that it would be incorporated as a story element in the movie.
(None of the actors in the film mentions the atomic bomb.) However,
co-director/producer Louis De Rochemont (who produced the "March of Time"
newsreel films) and narrator Reed Hadley were both involved in producing
government films on the development of the atomic bomb. (Hadley was present
at the final test of the bomb in Los Alamos, New Mexico, in July, 1945.)
After the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, Hadley and screenwriter John Monks
Jr. hastily wrote some additional voice-over narration linking "Process 97"
to the atomic bomb, and Rochemont inserted it into the picture in time for
the film's quick release. "
imdb