Subject: [Leica] Fuji choice and Leica
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 17:19:16 -0700

You're welcome, Tina. Part of writing this was to "think out loud" for
myself, too. Your key phrase here is "for my Leica M lenses." The Fuji
X-Pro1 is a wonderful camera, and we've seen wonderful work out of it in
the hands of people like B.D. Colen, Howard Cummer and Gerry Walden.

I'm in a bit of a quandry with the larger issue myself. I've got some
wonderful Leica and Leica-mount lenses.  But the OM-D is better at ISO
1600 than my M8 is at 640. Mix-and-match between the other camera and
Leica lenses is only good in special cases like the theater, concert
hall, macro or static-subject telephoto. On the other hand, the Fuji and
the OM-D are giving Leica quality a run for its money with their native
lenses.

The ability to do mix-and-match Leica lenses with somebody else's body
puts the emphasis on the things you might do sometimes, not what you'll
do most of the time. I've got no regrets buying into micro 4/3, but I
have to accept that it is what it is, not what I'd like it to be. There
is still nothing like a skilled photographer with an RF and a window
finder for decisive moment work.

So for the kind of people photography that you, I and many of us like to
do, Leica M still wins--if there's enough light. So my now-ancient M8 is
often still my camera of choice.  I love the 35/1.4 ASPH as a
47mm-equivalent normal lens, but I do wish I could use my 50mm lenses as
50mm lenses.  For that reason, I might upgrade to an M9 when the price
goes down a bit more. But I also realize that the M9 won't be much of a
high-ISO improvement. So there's a good chance I'll be an M-240 customer
eventually. God help me and my wallet.  :-)

--Peter

 > Thanks for your very reasoned review.  Those are exactly the reasons I
 > would hesitate buying the Fuji just for my Leica M lenses.  I HATE
EVF and

threshinc.com> wrote:

 > > I looked seriously at the X-Pro1 some time ago.  I wanted a replacement
 > > for my aging Panny G1, which was my "other than Leica" camera.
 > >
 > > I liked the feel of the X-Pro1, the discrete control buttons, the image
 > > quality, especially at high ISO (as seen in other's pictures). I
was put
 > > off by the autofocus slowness and problems with RAW support (now
somewhat
 > > mitigated by firmware and RAW processor upgrades), and the lack of
diopter
 > > adjustment in the viewfinder. Eventually micro 4/3 won out. I
already had a
 > > couple of lenses, so the cost to upgrade to the Olympus OM-D E-M5
was less.
 > > The high-ISO image quality was slightly less than the Fuji, but quite
 > > usable. (I've since grown to love the B&W conversions I'm getting
out of
 > > the OM-D at ISO 1600).
 > >
 > > My one real disappointment with the OM-D is that it is not a decisive
 > > moment camera for fleeting expressions. (I suspect the same holds
for the
 > > XE-1) There is a bit of delay between what happens in life and when
you see
 > > it in the viewfinder. And, there is a little-known issue in micro-4/3
 > > called Shutter Shock, which prevents you from getting the sharpest
pictures
 > > at the most-used shutter speeds unless you program in an additional 1/8
 > > second shutter delay.
 > >
 > > Viewfinder delay is the Achilles heel of all EVF cameras. Add the
delay in
 > > focusing a manual focus lens, and you get a combination that is
fine for
 > > posed and static subjects, but not for action.
 > >
 > > I've done much playing around with manual lenses (both Leica and OM) on
 > > DSLR and micro-4/3 bodies. For telephoto and macro, it's fine. For the
 > > theater or classical music concerts where the performers don't move
around
 > > much, it's quite usable.  I did well with a 90 Summicron on the OM-D,
 > > acting as a 180mm f/2.  But the native lenses are just much more
convenient
 > > and faster to work with. For anything that moves, you want the native
 > > lenses. Not to mention that they were designed with the camera
format and
 > > sensor in mind.  And that Leica wide-angle lenses on anything but a
Leica
 > > are always going to be a problem due to the steep angle of light
hitting
 > > the sensor.
 > >
 > > This is why, if I were to get a Fuji, I would get the X-Pro1. It
gives you
 > > EVF when you need precise framing and can deal with slow manual
focus, but
 > > an optical viewfinder when you are dealing with anything moving. And I
 > > would certainly get the Fuji lenses, just as I got the micro-4/3
primes.

 > > B&W conversions from the OM-D:
 > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/**24844563 at
 > > N04/8739819257/**lightbox<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
 > > N04/8739819257/lightbox>>,
 > > and the next 3 "Older"
 > > and this one: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/**24844563 at
N04/8656429757/**
 > > lightbox <http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
 > > N04/8656429757/lightbox>>
 > >
 > > 90 Summicron on OM-D in a concert hall:
 > > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/**24844563 at
 > > N04/8590916253/**lightbox/<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at
 > > N04/8590916253/lightbox/>>
 > > and then next 2 "Older"
 > >
 > > The best I could do with my cousins' relatively slow tennis game.
And this

P4150047.jpg.html<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/family/gladys80/P4150047.jpg.html>