Subject: [Leica] Fuji choice and Leica
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 14:16:50 -0700

I looked seriously at the X-Pro1 some time ago.  I wanted a replacement
for my aging Panny G1, which was my "other than Leica" camera.

I liked the feel of the X-Pro1, the discrete control buttons, the image
quality, especially at high ISO (as seen in other's pictures). I was put
off by the autofocus slowness and problems with RAW support (now
somewhat mitigated by firmware and RAW processor upgrades), and the lack
of diopter adjustment in the viewfinder. Eventually micro 4/3 won out. I
already had a couple of lenses, so the cost to upgrade to the Olympus
OM-D E-M5 was less. The high-ISO image quality was slightly less than
the Fuji, but quite usable. (I've since grown to love the B&W
conversions I'm getting out of the OM-D at ISO 1600).

My one real disappointment with the OM-D is that it is not a decisive
moment camera for fleeting expressions. (I suspect the same holds for
the XE-1) There is a bit of delay between what happens in life and when
you see it in the viewfinder. And, there is a little-known issue in
micro-4/3 called Shutter Shock, which prevents you from getting the
sharpest pictures at the most-used shutter speeds unless you program in
an additional 1/8 second shutter delay.

Viewfinder delay is the Achilles heel of all EVF cameras. Add the delay
in focusing a manual focus lens, and you get a combination that is fine
for posed and static subjects, but not for action.

I've done much playing around with manual lenses (both Leica and OM) on
DSLR and micro-4/3 bodies. For telephoto and macro, it's fine. For the
theater or classical music concerts where the performers don't move
around much, it's quite usable.  I did well with a 90 Summicron on the
OM-D, acting as a 180mm f/2.  But the native lenses are just much more
convenient and faster to work with. For anything that moves, you want
the native lenses. Not to mention that they were designed with the
camera format and sensor in mind.  And that Leica wide-angle lenses on
anything but a Leica are always going to be a problem due to the steep
angle of light hitting the sensor.

This is why, if I were to get a Fuji, I would get the X-Pro1. It gives
you EVF when you need precise framing and can deal with slow manual
focus, but an optical viewfinder when you are dealing with anything
moving. And I would certainly get the Fuji lenses, just as I got the
micro-4/3 primes.

B&W conversions from the OM-D:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/8739819257/lightbox>, and the
next 3 "Older"
and this one:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/8656429757/lightbox>

90 Summicron on OM-D in a concert hall:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563 at N04/8590916253/lightbox/> and
then next 2 "Older"

The best I could do with my cousins' relatively slow tennis game. And
this the best of about 30 tries, with the shutter shock delay turned
*off*, and keeping my non-viewfinder eye open to watch the ball, and and
hitting the shutter when the ball crossed the net. Using the EVF, the
ball was almost never even in the frame.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/family/gladys80/P4150047.jpg.html>

I suspect you'd get similar results from an EVF-only XE-1.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Fuji choice and Leica)