Subject: [Leica] Leica MM and M9 Comparison
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 06:43:37 +1000
References: <CA+yJO1CWgLMULpqPh+_LY2FwqxY0=QU_5Zt6RTUNCSw28jTzkg@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOXABHSyrzstGjVRM5RVcKsCdzDuE5WBSpdZwixzxM=o2g@mail.gmail.com> <CA+yJO1C+yzmwkpc+o5pZAMzMWF==DLz-KLdge4cO8CreCwWqpA@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOUxxYnw-66qkTSDOXFB3XbUpHx4wpGy3quqMHZx7d10hA@mail.gmail.com> <CA+yJO1A1HuER8Hoz99R8kZpdntCXbKJr2d4Uvr6uA=QfxMN2tA@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOXCV=7Hb1FDt6_iFjnhrDeK8HtKc-c8mxzmuCquM+D5PQ@mail.gmail.com> <4208DF9A260B4A12B5AE4D28D79FC2BE@qck8vqhgou8blu> <E83CF75D-28BA-4DB3-8D4A-A5B03A302102@archiphoto.com>

The comment on the Epson printers using small amounts of colour ink for BW
is really only a distraction in the discussion on M9 or M Monochrom files.
That is to say it is normal for any grey toned (neutral) image.
A pure carbon on cotton rag (with no Optical Brightening Agent) print is
not perfectly neutral because the paper is not nor is the 'black' of the
carbon pigment. Nor do they need to be of course. That's not to denigrate
how wonderful those can be but it is a silly irrelevance regarding the
camera differences. Any file however developed can of course then be
converted to monochrome.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman