Subject: [Leica] Leica MM and M9 Comparison
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 09:54:02 -0700
References: <CA+yJO1CWgLMULpqPh+_LY2FwqxY0=QU_5Zt6RTUNCSw28jTzkg@mail.gmail.com><CABmfTOXABHSyrzstGjVRM5RVcKsCdzDuE5WBSpdZwixzxM=o2g@mail.gmail.com><CA+yJO1C+yzmwkpc+o5pZAMzMWF==DLz-KLdge4cO8CreCwWqpA@mail.gmail.com><CABmfTOUxxYnw-66qkTSDOXFB3XbUpHx4wpGy3quqMHZx7d10hA@mail.gmail.com><CA+yJO1A1HuER8Hoz99R8kZpdntCXbKJr2d4Uvr6uA=QfxMN2tA@mail.gmail.com> <CABmfTOXCV=7Hb1FDt6_iFjnhrDeK8HtKc-c8mxzmuCquM+D5PQ@mail.gmail.com> <4208DF9A260B4A12B5AE4D28D79FC2BE@qck8vqhgou8blu>

Erwin has this statement here:

"The Monochrom produces absolutely neutral monochrome tones. The separate
RGB values are identical when looked at in a post processing program. When
you take a M9 image file and transfer it to black and white there is always
a slight color cast. It is well-known that even the Epson 3800, when set to
bw-printing, will add slight amounts of color ink. One can safely claim that
the Monochrom is the only digital 35 mm camera that delivers pure neutral
tones, identical to the ones you get when using silver-halide emulsions."

If you take an M9 file, do whatever channel mixing suits you or what Silver
EFEX produces, and then change the file to a 16bit monochrome file, there is
no more RGB information and the M9 file winds up being as  neutral as the MM
file. I don't know what he's thinking in that sentence. He must be talking
about files straight from the camera.

The other stuff is fairly clear and seems straighforward.

I would add that beyond the added detail and the better ISO/noise
relationship the separation of tones is much better in the MM files. In
fact, in normal shooting (not extreme enlargement or ISO) I would say that
is the main advantage of the files in my estimation.

And as Tina mentioned, the psychological mindset that comes with knowing
that the camera can produce nothing except fine B&W files.

Henning

On 2012-09-03, at 3:09 AM, A. Lal wrote:

> http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/styled-8/M%20Monochrom.htmlhttp://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/styled-8/M%20Monochrom.html

Henning Wulff
henningw at archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica MM and M9 Comparison)