Subject: [Leica] MM - first impressions
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 22:26:07 -0400

I don't think letting the highlights go was ever an option for serious
shooters of black and white. Not even 8x10 sheet film users. You expose for
shadow detail sure but the more important thing is where important high
tones are falling on the shoulder. And that's from exposure too.
Exposure controlling the shadows and development controlling the tonal
different or contrast between the high tones and the shadows is the way film
works. But its not the way photographers work. Both for slides and negs the
high tones have to not be exposed over the shoulder.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography