Subject: [Leica] Monochrome II and III
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:28:10 -0700

Mainly, and desparately needed: - these are the issues that are in fact
holding me off ordering an MM immediately -
Better buffer and image writing to card; faster display with zoom on LCD;
better LCD so that you can judge your image better, should you choose to do
so. Basically the electronics need to be up to the rest of the camera. If it
can't do more than 2 frames per second, that's OK. What I don't like is
having to wait for the camera. Ever. I don't with any other camera I now
use, unless it's a P&S. I don't know if the production firmware allows for
compressed DNG's, but uncompressed DNG's on the M9 are largely a waste of
time and space as I have never been able to discern a difference in final
output between uncompressed and compressed. If the electronics are up to
dealing with the large files in a transparently speedy fashion, this becomes
somewhat less of an issue. The file writing of the M9 with compressed is
slow enough as it is; it doesn't need to be slowed additionally by not
allowing a compressed format. Maybe there is a difference other than
theoretical between compressed and uncompressed on the MM, if it is
available there or tested initially by Leica.

In the 'Not so important but I'd like...' category:I'd also like the camera
to get back to the size the pre-M8's were. I know that is difficult with the
LCD screen requirements but I could better live with a deeper mount flange
than the body thickness. Better battery and battery life. I'd prefer not
having to remove the base and finding a place to put it to change batteries
and cards. I also liked the minimal info display on the top panel of the M8;
even a bit more would be welcome.

Henning