Subject: [Leica] SHOOTING B&W?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:11:24 -0700
References: <05b33254a058ba63caaa3158a6aa4929.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com> <1598E6D591A1437E8679487C923B2F74@syneticfeba505> <227299a76c5ac644f2a368f472376575.squirrel@emailmg.globat.com> <0300A0D88D8143DBB17C2DDE6C94C021@syneticfeba505> <DA9C3669-CFC4-439B-A85A-73517286C682@mac.com> <CA+yJO1AKA3z1vFz4Awh-ZfX9WGJ59ViQg9Dq+npzER2NyRmeyQ@mail.gmail.com> <C25F1AF5DE2B402CB29F25084B319E73@syneticfeba505> <96FC3D9D-10AB-4EA7-815B-7F02EE2F6A10@mac.com> <04066036-61CE-4C6C-8D38-D66092835630@me.com> <CA+yJO1DRR0YTaoPW7sEAFqmFHhPzz2x=vAg5Q0X1Q_PpKA6xFA@mail.gmail.com>

I find it rather hard to shoot B&W with the regular flavour (colour) digital
cameras. No matter how I think in B&W, when I chimp I still see colour,
unless I shoot in jpeg and I'm not going down that route. If I see the LCD
with a colour image and start getting that in my head, I have trouble taking
the next picture for B&W, especially if its just a slight variation on the
first.

The best I can do with a regular camera is with the M8 or M9; there I can
just shoot, turn off the LCD and not chimp and I see through the viewfinder
what I would see with any M camera loaded with B&W camera I ever had. So
right now I shoot colour with the M9 and B&W with the M8; I can get my mind
around that. Also, since I've always had trouble really getting my mind
around shooting colour and B&W on the same day, I usually only take one or
the other.

When I was shooting a lot of 4x5 for assignments, clients would sometimes
ask me to shoot both colour and B&W for them, and I'd have to ask which was
the more important? Then I'd get into that frame of mind and bring back a
good set of the primary type and a not so good set of the other. If it was
medium format stuff I'd usually try to shoot one type first and then come
back the next day for the other, if the budget allowed for it and everything
else cooperated. Just having two cameras loaded with different film didn't
give optimum results for one or the other.

I'm extremely tempted by the MM, and if the M10 wouldn't be announced in a
month I'd probably order an MM. But I'll wait and see.

Henning

>>> http://www.imagist.com/blog
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist

> --