Subject: [Leica] SHOOTING B&W?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:54:25 -0500

On Aug 27, 2012, at 11:41 AM, tedgrant at shaw.ca wrote:

> Given Leica have released the all B&W shooting camera. The "MM' and given,
> I bet the majority of the crew started shooting when B&W was the film of
> the day used in our Leica's of whatever models? Then colour became the
> film of the day and many stopped shooting B&W altogether.
>
> Where would you put shooting B&W, film or the "MM" digital today?

If I had one: I'd be carrying two cameras - just like in the old days.

> How important and where would you shoot it today? As the old lad asks the
> question? :-)...............

I'd be bringing the appropriate camera up to my eye as the subject dictated.
If color were "important" - the color camera.
Everything else - the black and white camera.

> "REAL PHOTOGRAPHERS SHOOT B&W. EAT SUSHI AND DRINK SINGLE MALT SCOTCH!"
>
> "THERE ISN'T ANYTHING MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN A GREAT BIG BLACK & WHITE
> PHOTOGRAPH! IT DOES SOMETHING THAT TELEVISION CAN NEVER DO!"

A great big black and white movie film projected onto a great big screen
also impresses the senses in beautiful ways.
(as does a color film - when artistically produced)

> "COLOUR IS SENSUAL! BLACK & WHITE IS INTELLECTUAL!"
>
> So OK and the question? Is the MM going to bring these back to life in how
> we see, re-act and shoot?? And or will it influence photographers to
> return to B&W images however they may create them?  Just curious

It seems to me we will continue to enjoy remarkable black and white
photography
produced by the best among us;
right along with our enjoyment of remarkable color photography
produced by the best among us.

Some of that work will be done on silver film and other "alternative"
processes.
Some of that work will be done with the Leica MM.
Some with medium format backs.
Some with DSLRs.
Some with phone cameras
Some with technologies that we have yet to see come to fruition.
and
always dependent on the talents of the photographer.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com