Subject: [Leica] Some technical speculations re: rangefinder
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:00:32 -0700

Frank (F.), you get my points exactly, except that we differ in opinions on
what the next evolutionary step should be: you think that a good EVF is a
good step, but I think there are inherent advantages of the optical
rangefinder and that it can be further tweaked using known technologies.

I remember when I first joined the list, and some people said at that time
that Leica owners tend to say, "nothing is broken, what's wrong with my
IIIxyz or Mxyz?" regarding the M6 and M7. And of course once the M6 was
released, people bought them in droves (while some lament the loss of
classic design or durability etc.) Ditto with the M7 - "why would anyone
ever need autoexposure?" apparently was bantered a lot.

I came in the list after the M7 was released. In fact, it was my first M
camera.

And we all have been here the last half a dozen years and hear people say
"digital sucks" or "crop factor is so horrible" while the sales on M8/M9
revitalized Leic'a fortune.

No one is going to hire me to fix this thing, that isn't my point. My point
is simply that optical rangefinder has not reached its full potential yet,
and the tweaks that can be done using the modern technology isn't
outrageous or far fetched or will change anything except to make things
better.