Subject: [Leica] Some technical speculations re: rangefinder
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:07:56 -0400

The Leica M10 will be an M9 with a CMOS sensor.
That's pretty much end of story.
Is there anything else they need to fix? I'm thinking no not really.
Otherwise the M9 is an extension of the M system going back to the M8, M7,
M6 and I cant type backwards too much longer.
The Leica viewfinder is a primary Leica asset which is not broke and does
not need to be fixed and certainly not rethought. Again its been slowly
tweaked  and used for many decades.   At first with the first M8's they had
some problems with the digital conversion of the focal lengths but they got
it fixed. And now those conversions are not in effect as the M9 is full
frame.
What issues were there with the M9? Plenty of people here have them and I
cant recall any being discussed. I don't think the camera needs any real
work and its not Leica's style to do so unnecessarily. Leica has not gotten
into the obsolescence game too much in the past century. Most of their
cameras were able to be upgraded every year for all current features of the
current body.
The Leica LTM and then  M camera is an extension of optical mechanical
tradition going back to 1920 and the microscopes they made before that. Its
not something they're going to be asking software designers in silicon
valley to rethink for them. Perhaps they'll ask some retired Swiss watch
makers if any are still alive?

Mark William Rabiner
Photography