Subject: [Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 00:15:43 -0400

I would think they'd be quite archival and close to fade free but we just
don't know. We'll know when we can look back at prints we've made decades
past. Right now we do have a bunch of smart people with the best intentions
doing their upmost to fix something into the future.
I started printing in the mid 60's and what seemed logical and right about
what to do in the darkroom for a proper amount of permanence changed and
evolved throughout the 70's and 80's. We were using one fixing bath not two
and not using all that much selenium in the 70's. Those vertical Plexiglas
washers were maybe just coming out. We knew we couldn't let our wash water
go below 60 and we all went out and got regulators. The whole dryer screen
thing and avoidance of heat during drying. Not dry mounting. All this stuff
was figured out in my printing lifetime. And darkroom printing had been
going on for a long time before 1965.
Today's Collectors will be breathing much easier and shelling out bucks for
modern inkjet prints much faster when we can look back at it at least a
decade or two or three and see that their investments in photographic art
had held up. That pigment really is a big plus over dyes. That Carbon makes
for an edge over just any black pigment.
We learned a lot about how to get it right in silver gelatin printing. We're
going into inkjet printing much smarter and wiser people - Scientists,
craftsman, artists. A little hindsight goes a long way.

- - from my iRabs.
Mark Rabiner
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/springdays/