Subject: [Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:45:05 -0700

I tried and used all sorts of inter-negative approaches to silver
prints for several years before inkjets were any good.  Some were OK,
most were not, and all added a few steps of frustration, cost, and
compromise.  Having now gone through the various stages of inkjet
development, and having studied the alternatives to death, I must say
I have no desire to do silver printing any more.  Aside from the fact
that some collectors may prefer them, they are inferior to what we can
now make with the best inkjet technology.

The inkjets can not only look better, but they can also be more
"archival."  I've concentrated on the longevity factor because that
was the assumed (correctly) weakness of the early inkjet products.  My
hope is that all of the testing and work to get the longevity of the
best inkjet prints up to and beyond the silver print level will
ultimately lead to their being more accepted by the collectors, but
it'll take a while.

Note that what I'm talking about here is beyond what most need for
their B&W work.  The OEM approaches and third party B&W inksets are
fine for most uses.

At an rate, for the highest end fine are and museum work, the 100%
carbon pigment inkjet alternatives available today are close to being
fade free.  In http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ testing, a 100%
carbon pigment print on Premier Art Smooth 205 (aka Epson Scrapbook
paper) at 100 megalux-hours of exposure (51 Wilhelm years) had a 50%
density test patch delta-e of 0.1.  That is, virtually no change at
all.  The natural, non-OBA paper delta-e was 0.5.  The 100% carbon
pigment test prints are achieving results that are many times better
than the best OEM approaches, and in the real world of unknown fade
factors, all of the approaches that use blends of carbon plus color
are at risk of differential fade of the color pigments.  This causes
the print colors to go in directions we might not like -- e.g.,
turning green.

The limiting factor in longevity when 100% carbon is used is probably
the paper.  Buffered cotton paper has a huge advantage over our old
wet darkroom paper.  The silver print paper cannot be buffered due to
the acidic processing chemicals.  Airborne acids are attacking them.
I have prints that have been in a metal cabinet since the 1980's where
I can see the yellow on the paper backs.  it's greatest at the edges.
It is totally consistent with airborne acids diffusing in from the
edges of these stacked silver prints.

Beyond that, in my digital restoration work, I find the vast majority
of very old prints are having microcracking of the emulsions.  Some
conservators believe that all laminated or coated media will
deteriorate due to cracking or separation of the layers.  The
differential expansions/contractions due to humidity and temperature
changes are inevitable.  This, of course, also affects coated inkjet
papers.  That is why I increasingly think that 100% carbon pigments on
Arches watercolor paper is our ultimate medium from an archival
perspective.  The 100% carbon pigment on Arches prints I have on my
walls are among the very best prints I've ever made.  True, up close a
coated inkjet paper can be smoother, and the best coated inkjet papers
can get a better dmax, but in display size prints in real world
display conditions, these make very beautiful B&W prints.

Note that on the wall in normal lighting, the depth of the matte black
is usually deeper than the depth of a glossy black due to reflections.
  For example, in my home environment, where I have 2 spot lights on
the prints, but also have normal room lights and light walls and
ceiling, when I put 100% black matte and glossy test prints under
glass at the place where the prints would usually hang, and I use a
spot meter to measure the depth of black from the normal viewing
positing, the matte blacks win.  The "superior" glossy blacks are only
better with very good lighting -- as used in the spectros we use to
measure the test strips.  In the real world, reflections make all the
difference.  That, I believe, is the main thing that attracted people
to platinum prints.  Even their very modest dmax looked good when
there were not reflections off the surface.  Once I see a surface
reflection, the illusion of depth in the print disappears.  Suddenly
I'm just looking at a piece of paper.

Nonetheless, I've lately been trying to develop the best neutral
glossy inkjet approach -- using the most carbon possible as well as
the best and least amount of color pigments.  The glossy carbon
pigments are very warm, so it takes a lot of color to cool them to
neutral.  The OEM "gray" inks are all blends of carbon + color.  So,
for example, your QTR ink loads of the color needed to cool down the
OEM gray inks do not tell you how much total color is in the mix.
While the Epson M and C pigs appear to quite good, they ultimately
will fade and probably at different rates, causing the image to change
colors.  (The third party color pigments are terrible, including those
blended into the third party neutral B&W inksets, the ones I designed
and sold by MIS Associates/inksupply.com included.)  While we can look
at the Aardenburg Imaging tests to find the best matched M and C
pigments, that is under ideal environmental conditions and that
particular light source.  We simply don't know what gas attacks and
other factors might affect real world differential fade, which is the
major risk with these types of B&W prints.  From what I've seen in my
development of what should be the best possible neutral glossy inkset,
I doubt current technology can make a good glossy print that I'd
consider museum quality.  The OEM colors are good enough for most
purposes, but if museum quality is the goal, I'd stick to 100% carbon
on matte paper, with Arches probably being the ultimate photographic
medium.

Note that I was able to make a 100% carbon neutral glossy print, but
it takes using un-diluted MK in a 1.5 picoliter printer, which is
still not very smooth.  It also takes a lot of acrylic spray to nail
down the MK pigments.  It's not worth the effort.

My B&W printing views are summarized at http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints)