Subject: [Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:55:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

It's a Durst Theta 51. Was your image uploaded via Roes for their
value RC print?  Not Great.  Try their custom printing on Ilfobrom
Galerie Fiber (Baryta based) Semi Gloss...Superb, assuming the file
is good in the first place.  300 dpi or better etc. Your subject
title may be a tad overblown?

Montie

>>Folks might remember that I tried doing digital negative before. In the
end, unsuccessfully because my HP Z3100 is just not good for that
particular type of task (digital negative for silver contact prints -
apparently, it works great for digital negatives with alternative process).
Eventually when I have to replace the Z3100, I will probably get an Epson
and try the experiment again.

Meanwhile, since I have to make some 17x22 prints for a couple gallery
shows, I got a 8x10 sample print from Digital Silver where you upload the
digital file and they print it using some sort of LED laser and then
processed in wet chemical.

I make the same print on the Z. Comparing to the Z3100 printing on Gloss
Baryta, it's no comparison, the inkjet print looks better in every way.

So Z+Gloss Baryta it is.

--

Replies: Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] The death of the silver gelatin prints)