Subject: [Leica] Security in Dublin Airport now insist on scanning film
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:22:45 -0700

Gradually over the last 20 years the xray scanners have been able to make do
with less and less radiation (this is so the operators don't develop funny
appendages while still in the employ of security) and I've seen less and
less damage on film from scanning. The last big trip I did with film
involved about 200 rolls and was in the Middle East. The film probably went
through 40 scanners. No film faster than 800, but no damage. As Nathan
mentioned, the most annoying were those checkpoints (many) where the
operators were chatting and not even looking at the screen. Many checkpoints
would not entertain hand checking; it was through the machine or you didn't
get on the plane/cross the border.

After that I decided that whenever I could, I would take digital. For some
120 films I had no digital equivalents, so I still took some film, but very
little. It's the present reality. Heathrow hasn't allowed hand checking for
a long time.

Henning