Subject: [Leica] Security in Dublin Airport now insist on scanning film
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 18:02:44 -0700

CURT OFFERED:

Would those lead bags have saved the day? I think the next time I fly I'm
going to hide my film in them in my checked luggage.  Sorry for your bad
luck!

Hi Curt,
Given your comment about checked film in baggage you might like to keep this
for a thought?

In the event you load a couple of lead bags and put them in your suit case,
as it goes by the baggage scanner guy, not the guy when you do the walk
through thing with your carry-on.. The baggage scanner guy is quite often
some place else in the airport as your checked bags are on the way to the
plane.

And all he sees are two unidentifiable objects? (Your lead bags)  certainly
one of two things can happen.

1/ he can turn the "seeing ability higher" (read radiation level)  until he
can see inside the lead bags...... you really don't want that to happen!
Cause that really will be the end of your film. :-(

2/ You will hear your name being called over the PA system and have to go
and identify and OPEN!!!!!!! your bags to show the security guys what's
inside the "lead bags!" Mean while? A wild possibility you'll miss your
flight!

Just thought you might like to know those two routines.....

Heck man save all this waste of time, buy a digital camera of some kind. :-)

Oh yeah and don't be surprised if some day you are carrying a Leica M film
camera and one of the security folks ask you to turn it on so he or she can
see the camera works while looking at the back of the body. :-) Then try
explaining your way out of that one as you take the base plate and lens off
the body!

Been there done that one! Twice :-) And we entrust them with our lives?????

cheers,
Dr. ted