Subject: [Leica] Security in Dublin Airport now insist on scanning film
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:36:27 -0700

doug kim OFFERED:

Gee Doug,
Did they scan your digital cameras also????????

 Given airports have been scanning film for umpteen dozen years by now and
like you in the beginning I got ticked off because there were no easy tricks
or words to not having film scanned. HOWEVER?????

My good fortune was, I put all the film on the way out and back from
assignments in clear plastic zip lock bags out of the little yellow boxes so
it could be seen. Then walked up to the scanner guys and handed them the
film asking quite politely... "This is very sensitive 800 / 1600 film, does
it really have to go through the scanner?" And in a great number of cases
the security guy just shook the bag, looked at the rolls and passed them to
the other side without going through the machine.

Quite honestly I didn't always win! But I always kept my cool, walked
through without saying another word and picked up my rolls. Some times it
might be several hundred rolls in a few bags.  By the same token the Gods
were with me and I never had any film fogged going through the dozens of
airport locations over the years I was travelling on assignments. However, I
accepted that was the world plan like it or not. And certainly don't start
whining and bitching because in 99.9% of the time they are going to be the
winners and you will get your ass fried!

Besides by now, given the years digital cameras have been out and many
professional photographers working only in B&W make fabulous B&W prints from
digital images.  I'm quite surprised you are not shooting digital? You'd
never have a worry again about scanning. Besides if I were in the security
business I'd be far more suspicious of a "Film carrying guy today?" Than a
guy carrying a half dozen digital cameras.

Any thoughts on this approach?

cheers,
Dr. ted

Message from curtisbliss at yahoo.com (CB) ([Leica] Security in Dublin Airport now insist on scanning film)