Subject: [Leica] really elementary backup question
From: mark at whitedogs.co.uk (Mark Pope)
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:08:05 +0000

Hi Ken,

I think what Martin Avening means is to set up the catalog preferences
so that the catalog is backed up when you exit Lightroom (this is the
behaviour for LR3, but for 2, it backs up the catalog when you open the
application).

It's recommended because if your catalog becomes corrupted (I've had one
catalog corruption), then you can load a backup copy and pick up from there.

If you go to <file><preferences><catalog settings>, there is a drop-down
menu where you can set your backup preferences.
The options are 'Never', 'once a month when exiting Lightroom', 'once a
day when exiting Lightroom', 'Every time Lightroom exits' and 'Next time
Lightroom exits'.

When backups are selected, the application will display a dialogue box
which gives you the option to choose (or modify) the backup catalog
location as well as to skip the backup and whether you want to optimise
the catalog.

The catalog backups are held in date-stamped directories on the backup disk.

On our Windows system, our catalogs are backed up to a file share on
network-attached server.  Note that the catalog backup *does not* back
up the image files, only the catalog database.

Since you already use Syncback, then you could create a Lightroom
catalog backups directory on your local hard disk and then this will be
backed up with all of your other files.

The images can be backed up when they are imported into Lightroom -
check out the import settings.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Mark Pope,