Subject: [Leica] S2 vs. 645D (Cars)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:26:48 -0500

Paul Fussell in his book "Class" suggests that the reason the then "Yuppies"
all wanted to drive "Jeeps" was that it suggested that they were doing
better than they really were. Very wealthy people lived on land in which
even with that top level of wealth they could not justify a paved driveway
which might be a mile long. It was left unpaved and to drive it in a Jeep
like car was more obvious than a normal car. Huge pot holes perhaps.
Decaying tree branches. Dead opossums.
There were a lot of very rich people driving Jeeps. The less rich noticed.
Hence the upsurge of Jeeps.
Plus they're more fun.

And driving is all about the illusion of invincibility.
When you drive an obvious death trap you are thumbing your nose at your own
mortality. Plus you are in love with your own wonderful decaying reflexes.
The seamlessness between you and your driving machine. And screw it that you
are a moving menace on wheels.
--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/