Subject: [Leica] S2 vs. 645D vs. Cars
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:38:11 -0500

How does a digital medium format camera thread morph into a car thread? I'll
tell you how.
A car is something which cost a ridiculous amount of money which few don't
justify just buying anyway. Then selling very few years later and buying
another one. We've lived in a long time in a car based economy. Car's is
where our money is going. Its easy to justify. We need to get places. And
its easy to justify getting places in some style; our style.

But we do love buying and selling other things than cars. And high on that
list is cameras. Its also a style thing. The camera we have hanging round
our necks define us just like the car we climb into.
Its just that a camera is supposed to take up 3 or 4 figures out of our net
worth wealth not 5 or 6. Not tens of thousands of bucks.
And when a camera we don't understand starts costing as much as a car we do
understand then its infringing on our basic life style budget.
And its not going to happen.
We are much more comfortable talking about why we spend money on a certain
car than on a medium format camera digital camera which we never in a
million years are ever going to buy anyway.
It's like comparing today with a day a hundred years from now.

Hence a digital medium format camera thread morphing into a car thread.

--
Mark R.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/winterdays/